Application Specific
   >> Art of Illussion
Thread views: 23549 *View all threads**Threaded Mode

D856C
(Stranger)
01/24/11 08:21 AM
What is Art of Illusion Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've begun using a 3D program called Art of Illusion. It's fairly full featured, and is pretty mature. As I write this 2.8.1 is the latest release.

It's a little unusual in that Art of Illusion is a Java program - you'll need the Java runtime. You'll want to make sure you have Java installed, and updating to the latest version speeds up performance significantly.

The program imports some popular formats, like 3DS and OBJ, making many of the models available on sharcg  usable.

Although I haven't used the animation feature, it does animation as well as 3D stills. You have bones, the timeline, and all the usual suspects.

What you might find different is, while it takes some study for newbies, it's incredibly easy to use in comparison to some others.

Finally, modules are always being developed. A Tree and Plant designer. Advanced Rendering. Heightfield. Scripts for gears. Others for coils. All, and more, can be downloaded through the Scripts and Plugins Manager which is part of the AoI program. And if you don't see what you want, you could write your own plugins.

dexterdoodle
(Stranger)
04/23/11 03:52 PM
Re: What is Art of Illusion new [re: D856C]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've been using AOI as a fantastic addon to Poser for a year now.  I can create objects in AOI, export as OBJ, then import into Poser. Adjust the textures, add bones, etc. in Poser and save as props or figures.  It's great for easily making detail objects or simple figures for your scenes or animations. And, it's free!

I've been using the animation feature, and it is actually very powerful. You can actually animate individual vertices, edges and faces, etc. as well as bones and joints.  This gives you a lot more control that I wish Poser had.

AOI has a very powerful procedural texture AND material capability.  great for making fire, fur, and much more.

For me, AOI is the object modeling tool, Poser forgot to include...

D856C
(Stranger)
05/15/11 11:16 AM
Re: What is Art of Illusion new [re: dexterdoodle]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, AoI is a great addition to any number of programs.

One problem I've Found: No library.  Okay you can set up some template objects, primitives like rounded cube and such. But anything more than a few basic primitives gets unwieldy -- fast.

With AoI you always had to make a scene file with whatever materials, objects or textures. And there are a few, like a metals scene which acts as a library.

A recent update, 2.9, gives you that library function now. So AoI is even better.

Edited by D856C on 05/15/11 11:16 AM.

DigitalEuan
(Stranger)
09/28/11 03:57 PM
Re: What is Art of Illusion new [re: D856C]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I agree Art Of Illusion is excellent.

I have used it for a few years now and am never disapointed. I do the large bulk of modelling in AOI and then take an .OBJ into Carrara Pro for texturing and animation. I don't personnaly think it needs a Library, although I can see why some would want one. The only thing I wish it could do was export usable bones and animation straight to Carrara Pro.

Whats more is the application is 100% free!

mobilax
(Stranger)
05/14/20 10:53 AM
Re: What is Art of Illusion new [re: DigitalEuan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The current version is 3.1.0, released July  2019.

More than 20 years of activity, this is incredible !

*View all threads**Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise