ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 277882 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
WandW
(Stranger)
02/11/12 12:13 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: Meshbox]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Indeed.

Be Careful out there...

MacMyers
(Stranger)
02/12/12 04:48 AM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: guardian_angel_671]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Pretty much everything he ever uploaded was stolen. I've researched many... and not only could I not verify copyright... many were models  (mostly derigged in Poser Models cases) that I had actually purchased.

I'll have no problem getting rid of them as I kept them in a separate folder while I researched them, compared meshes etc.

And Unlike the indication in the comment above... I was quite vocal about it (and I saw others question him as well)... and I emailed artists I could identify as well as Dalmatiner multiple times, all of which he ignored. His comments section continued to sing his praises even when I posted comments calling him out after he uploaded "his" work. I emailed this site as well.

No one creates 5 models every 2 days. And his Male bovine fecal matter destroyed the integrity of the site for me...... which is a shame as many great artists post some fantanstice work here..... their OWN work.

EnglishBob
(Stranger)
02/12/12 03:37 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: mafiagore2]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

For the benefit of anyone who's concerned, the Midnight Raider motorcycle posted here shortly before Christmas was taken from catamaran's Road Gypsy MkII, except with all the cool features removed. This was done in contravention of the late artist's wishes and was removed by ShareCG at my request.

The original and far superior model may be downloaded for free from the page on my site dedicated to catamaran's work: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlcatamaran.html

An inauspicious first post, to be sure. :(

Josea
(Newbie)
02/13/12 08:44 AM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? [re: EnglishBob]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Welcome to the Sharecg forum EnglishBob. I have always found your site to be quite educational.

WandW
(Stranger)
02/13/12 01:07 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? [re: MacMyers]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Indeed no one can create 3 good models in 2 days, but one certainly could download 3 models such as this...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=265caf96e66995326676e97b9eb0af67

...export them as obj, bring them into Poser, and fix them up.  If they are grouped right, one could even rig them quickly.  Presuming the model isn't pirated, while not giving credit is rude, the license allows redistribution.  However, as Meshbox points out, there is risk involved if the mesh happens to be pirated.   Casual hobbyists don't have the same knowledge and appreciation of copyright as vendors; "I got it from Google-it's got to be legit, right?"   Hopefully a lesson was learned in this case....

BTW English Bob, the V4 QuickSuit was just the thing I needed for some testing yesterday.  Thanx!! :D

michaeltoonz
(Stranger)
02/13/12 06:52 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? [re: WandW]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Wandaw wrote" I don't know that "moral integrity" is an issue".

If Dalmatiner had any moral integrity he would not be stealing other peoples work and giving them away as his own period! Regardless of whether Dalmatiner made a cent or not from stealing other people work is not the point. The point is that he is stealing other peoples work.

This is no small matter, Dalmatiner is hurting real people like Meshbox by stealing their commercial models and giving it away as his own, robbing Meshbox of money that he is rightly entitled to. And as English Bob has pointed out Dalmatiner  has little regard for other people express wishes on the usage of their models. Dalmatiner is also knowingly implicating people who download "his models" in theft and leaving them open to legal action when the theft is discovered. Where is there any morality or integrity in that on his part!

Wandaw wrote "Many of the models he posted here can be downloaded in SketchUp and Collada format from Google 3D Warehouse . . .   He my have obtained the ones in question there due to someone posting them there illegally." 

The problem there is knowing that he is stealing models and also ignoring other people usage rights, how can I give Dalmatiner any benefit of the doubt that he actually cares where he get any of these models from, let alone cares for the trouble he is causing other who download them.

michaeltoonz
(Stranger)
02/13/12 06:59 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: michaeltoonz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks Marcodd for the heads up about Renderosity. I rewrote the warning and posted it up to the Community Center Forum, hopefully there it will get a wider audience. I had a post on it from the site Admin that it was being handled.

guardian_angel_671
(Stranger)
02/13/12 09:18 PM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: michaeltoonz]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

"This is no small matter, Dalmatiner is hurting real people like Meshbox by stealing their commercial models and giving it away as his own, robbing Meshbox of money that he is rightly entitled to. And as English Bob has pointed out Dalmatiner  has little regard for other people express wishes on the usage of their models. Dalmatiner is also knowingly implicating people who download "his models" in theft and leaving them open to legal action when the theft is discovered. Where is there any morality or integrity in that on his part! "

Also all the innocents who (like me) downloaded & used some of these --not realizing --that they were stolen. this opens them up to getting banned/punished for using the said stolen items. Thank heavens as far as I know I only used 1 & still had it saved as a daz scene--so I totally redid it with an item I went & purchased to make my render safe & reposted in same areas.  Many people,especially the newbies wouldn't think of the results of using "stolen" items. Is it right that he get away & be allowed to endanger others---I extremely think not. As for moral integrity? If he was worried about it--he wouldn't be reuploading same illegal items elsewhere to another safe well known freebie place like Rendo.  Sorry I had ta speak up for the innocent victims too.

May the hands of fate by kind to you & yours:)

hal001
(Stranger)
02/14/12 05:58 AM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: EnglishBob]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I was shocked then I saw it because I was a great fan of catamaran work and I recognized it at first glance (Just to let you know I also report it to administration of shareCG at once).

As a freebie provider and a commercial content maker, I'm glad to see that they took your request and meshbox request in consideration and react quickly against dalmatiner.

WandW
(Stranger)
02/14/12 05:59 AM
Re: Whats Happened Dalmatiner? new [re: guardian_angel_671]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

"Also all the innocents who (like me) downloaded & used some of these --not realizing --that they were stolen. this opens them up to getting banned/punished for using the said stolen items. Thank heavens as far as I know I only used 1 & still had it saved as a daz scene--so I totally redid it with an item I went & purchased to make my render safe & reposted in same areas.  Many people,especially the newbies wouldn't think of the results of using "stolen" items. Is it right that he get away & be allowed to endanger others---I extremely think not. As for moral integrity? If he was worried about it--he wouldn't be reuploading same illegal items elsewhere to another safe well known freebie place like Rendo.  Sorry I had ta speak up for the innocent victims too."

The reason I believe he is getting meshes from Sketchup is that I too was suspicious at his output.  He had some detailed descriptions, so I Gooogled the descriptions, and there the models were, on Sketchup. 

Models posted on Sketchup have unlimited use and distribution terms, with no attribution requirement, which I posted earlier.  If someone uses a model obtained there, he has not "stolen" it, he is using it in accordance with the license terms.  If the mesh turns out to have been pirated, he, like guardian_angel_671 is a victim, having lost the work and time put to converting it, and being exposed to liability. 

If a poser model were imported into Sketchup and shared, it would be the same mesh (and perhaps the same textures), but would be "derigged", and have "all the cool features removed"

I'm certainly not defending Piracy, but as Bonaparte said, "Do not ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence".  Looking at download numbers, we who post on Forums are the rounding error as a percentage of Poser users.  Most users are amateur hobbyists and not attuned to the subtleties of copyright law.  Callling someone a thief or pirate is unlikely to garner a positive response, but explaining the situation kindly, in terms of thier own protection, would be far more effective and beneficial to the hobby as a whole.

I don't know Dalmatiner, but the reason I stepped into this discussion is due to a member here called WERTS.  WERTS made uncanny celebrity head morphs for DAZ figures.  However, I was astonished to download one and fiund the morph had been distributed as an obj; that is, it included DAZ's mesh.  I thought about warning WERTS that that he should be distributing it as a delta injection, but, since I had seen it on the DAZ forums, I presumed he had some dispensation.  Apparently I was mistaken, as these works, and WERTS, disappeared several months ago.  I now wish I'd sent that PM. Frown  A kindly word to the wise is likely to be recieved far more favorably than an accuation of criminal acts, and a warning heeded is beneficial to the community as a whole...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise