ShareCG Main Forums
   >> Open Discussion
Thread views: 37680 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

pauljs75
(Stranger)
01/02/08 11:04 AM
Rating criteria? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Sometimes I wonder what exactly is going on when people rate stuff (and not just my own uploads either.) Maybe a bit of exaggeration here, but I'll see something like a smoothed cube get 5 stars, while something else such as an well detailed vehicle or building with a slew of included textures gets 2-1/2.

So what exactly are the criteria that people are rating models by? The dearth of comments doesn't seem to help in figuring out what people love or hate about something either.

(Sometimes I almost wonder if folks play eenie-meenie-miney-moe if they actually bother to click on the stars.)

Beatrice
(Newbie)
01/03/08 07:21 PM
Re: Rating criteria? new [re: pauljs75]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Personally I think a rating system is open to abuse and see no purpose in it :(

dadchamp
(Journeyman)
01/04/08 01:13 AM
Re: Rating criteria? new [re: pauljs75]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It is nothing but a popularity contest ... voting done by friends! The more friends you have the better chance you have of getting a five star. It has nothing to do with what was made. How good it actually was made. Or how detailed it is. Quality means nothing in the ratings systems used by most places. Want a five star raiting? Go to the local library and long onto one machine after another and rate your own stuff. For that matter, do the same thing to drive up your views! Public access PCs are a wonderful way to abuse the rating and viewing system of this site ... and I would bet there are people here who do it too, but you didn't hear that from me. :-)

--
I don't fear God anymore. Anything he/she can do to me now is only adding insult to injury!

pauljs75
(Stranger)
01/04/08 02:14 PM
Re: Rating criteria? [re: dadchamp]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thing is, I have a 5-star item, maybe two 4-stars, but a lot are either not rated (people too lazy to bother?) or 2-1/2 stars. It almost seems like the few more-detailed models raise the criticism level by a large factor. (Are the people playing with the more detailed models really that more demanding?) Something like that...

TheKeeper
(Stranger)
01/07/08 10:17 PM

I dunno. I only just started uploading content about a month ago. Before then, I very rarely frequented forums, so I had no friends. Yet, most of the items I have uploaded have been given 5 stars. The only thing I can think of is that people were just happy to see the kind of things I had uploaded, as they are very hard to find for Aiko and Hiro (I know! I've looked! That's why I neded up making these things in the first palce!).

I think people tend to be more critical of content that is more plentiful, is my theory. For example, there is a wealth of content for Victoria 3 and 4. The level of variety in that content is just as stunning. Because there is so much content available, people can afford to be more critical, and, boy, can they be harsh if they deem another freebie to be far superior to a similar freebie! On the other hand, finding free armor pieces for Aiko, let alone Hiro (poor guy; artists on a tight budget must be forced to do nude character studies for Hiro) is very difficult. When someone finally puts out an even half-way decent set, people are just too plain happy to be overly critical.

Other than just plain cheating or the friends theory on the part of some uploaders, that's the only other reason I can think of for some of the odd ratings I see. Unless the uploading artist somehow managed to insult someone somewhere in the past?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

© 2024 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
670 Aberdeen Way, Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 882-6554 — Contact Us
ShareCG™ is a trademark of Internet Business Systems, Inc.

Report a Bug Report Abuse Make a Suggestion About Privacy Policy Contact Us User Agreement Advertise